Longsword Classes will return for members 4/12/21 and new students 4/19/21. Saturday classes TBD.
- Classes are restricted to 12 students. Students must sign up and pay for classes online each week using the form on this page.
- Face Masks for Fencers. We are following CDC guidelines and requiring face masks for indoor practice. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you. We are erring on the side of caution. Fencers are welcome to remove them for a short period, provided they are more than 6 feet away from anyone
- Classes will be held outdoors when possible. All classes will be held in the parking lot, weather permitting. Classes may be held indoors with fewer students, with the doors open and several fans running. Class cancellation will be posted to the Facebook group by 6:15pm. Please plan to park under the trees on the edge of the lot. Masks are not required outdoors.
- Class times are unchanged. There will be separate sign ups for beginner and advanced classes. New students will be given priority for the slots in the beginner class, and any empty spots are welcome to advanced students.
- All students are encouraged to arrive dressed to fence. Students will not be allowed to use changing rooms. Changing will be allowed in the restroom. Fencers are encouraged to store extra gear in their vehicles.
- Fencers who borrow equipment; Loaner weapons will still be available, however we are not able to offer loaner jackets and masks right now. Neither are required for beginner class. Borrowed weapons will be stacked for cleaning at the end of class.
- All fencers should have their own personal water containers rather than using cups at the club. The filter will still be available for fencers to refill their bottles.
- Students who arrive before class begins are reminded to maintain social distancing
- In-Door and Out-Door: Whenever possible, the large garage door will be open and designated the “In” door. The small door to the left will be designated the “Out” door. Fencers (and families) should adhere to this foot traffic pattern.
- Parents/drivers who wish to remain at WSTR will be asked to wait in their cars. Another option is to sit outside. Our wicker chairs and tables may easily be moved outside for outdoor seating. You will be asked to wear a cloth mask at all times and stay an appropriate distance from all fencers and coaches.
Register here for Wednesday's Class on June 30, 2021
Beginning in September 2020 all students must register for our classes. Please choose the appropriate Class Type and complete the checkout process to register for each week’s class. Class is limited to 12 students and will be held in a socially distant manner.
If you’ve paid in advance you still must register every week you are coming to class.
Ready to commit?
Advanced students can set up hassle-free recurring monthly payments with Paypal. Once you’ve done this, be sure to also use the form above to let us know you’re registering for this (and every) week’s class.
Beginner Longsword Class Description
Our basic/beginner longsword session (Wed, from 6:30-7:30) concentrates on the basic elements of German unarmored longsword. The focus is on guards and stances, cutting, fundamental techniques, and five specialized cuts. Students learn the techniques and practice them in drills. The session rotates through techniques weekly so someone attending 6 straight weeks would get an introduction to all the basic techniques (note this is introduction only, not mastery of these skills). Those who skip a few will usually get some one-to-one attention from senior students to catch up and get everything needed. Students will test into advanced classes in 7-10 weeks depending on attendance and skill. Classes are $10 each.
Advanced Class Description
Advanced class takes place immediately after basic (7:30-9:00). This group consists of members who have passed a safety and basic technique test in order to ensure the safety of other members. Advanced study allows members to train toward mastery of the basic techniques, explore more complex techniques, and study more intensive concepts of combat such as initiative, tactics, distance and timing. Other weapon systems in addition to longsword are also studied: sword & buckler, dagger, wrestling, various polearms, messer, rapier, military saber/backsword and fixed bayonet. Classes are $20 per month
East Haddam Class Description
Classes meet most Saturdays from 11-12:30 (see calendar for schedule) and focus on use of the later period Renaissance Italian rapier, German smallsword, and military saber. Teen and adult fencing classes are offered periodically through East Haddam Parks and Rec and meet from 10-11:00.
Saturday classes currently cancelled due to COVID.